11-2-12

11-2-12

Eleven-two-twelve
It's eleven minutes to twelve
And I'm here thinking again
Saying to myself, here we go again
Yes, it's another fearful eleventh day of February
Few days to Valentine's Day
It's six years after
After your demise stole my laughter
Turned my world inside out
Made my mouth full of bile
And my heart full of doubt
And kept me wondering what's in this life
That when all's going smoothly
And you got a smile so toothy
Things just turn sour
With just the snap of a finger
Or in the twinkling of an eye
Or before you say Kingsley Emezie
Pause... Pause... Pause...

I just froze at putting down that name
No it ain't writer's block
Although I must admit that
A lot more than has come from this being
Had been blocked by that call
That call that I still wish didn't come
That call that kick-started the storm
That raged within me riotously
That storm that no one could see
But killed every zeal within me
Pause... Pause... Pause

I just froze again
I never wanted to do anything
To mark this day or make me remember
I just wanted it to come and go
Like every normal day would
But alas, that's impossible
Because I can't forget, Beau
I can't forget your contagious smile
A smile and disposition
That couldn't help but catch
My undivided and rapt attention
That very day in Black Gold

Black Gold
Where it all started
Black Gold
My precious moments turned into
Darkness, pain and sorrow
Black Gold
What could have been a fairy tale
Turned into memories going stale
Black Gold
The mystery of something invaluable
The power of uncanny uncertainty
Black Gold
Is that why you were named so?

11-2-12
Eleven-two-Twelve
11th of February, 2012
You have turned me into a rock
Nurtured, moulded, unmoved
By the waves and winds of life
Better still
Kept firm and fortified
In the knowledge of God's unwavering love
Which is all I have
And all I'll ever need.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ICYMI: 10 Things that Happened in Rivers State over the Weekend and in the Past Week

The Beauty of Southern Kaduna

Are Journalists Getting Soft?