Pentecost Sunday: Holy Spirit Promptings


I talk to myself sometimes, maybe most of the time. I don't always speak the words out loud, except I'm rehearsing a script. 



Friday morning I'm rushing to work (as usual). I board a keke and start talking to myself again: 

"Hope this guy won't see too many passengers to pick and waste my time, or stop at the filling station to buy fuel like that taxi driver did the other day." 

The taxi driver thought apologising while driving into the petrol station would stop me from being upset. He's lucky there's been some improvement as regards my 'sweetness' (I actually typed 'wereyness' but autocorrect did its magic 😅). Years back, I'll get off the vehicle right there in the petrol station and go board another one without giving him a dime. 

Back to the main story, the keke driver sees two passengers going the opposite direction and since I was the only one in his auto rickshaw, he asks me to get down and board another one. Hmm. This whole nonsense was as bad as the delay picking up passengers heading my way would've caused. Wasn't this what I wished against? Thanks to my 'sweetness', I get down without uttering a word to the guy. Since we hadn't gone far, he doesn't ask for any money. I stop a bike this time and we zoom off. 

On the bike, I start talking to myself again. This time, to the Holy Spirit. I know I'm no saint, so I tend to forget that I have a Teacher, Guide, Friend and Comforter that's always with me and I can be in tune with. The conversation I have with Him is somewhat about how I miss it when He prompts me and how much I need Him and how much I need to be in sync with Him. Then one of my favourite songs come to mind: 

🎵Holy Spirit, take rest in me

Make me Your temple, restore my soul

My heart is Yours, LORD, this I decree

Holy Spirit, take rest in me 🎵

Fast forward to my returning from work. I decide to have a cup of green tea before I rest. So, I put my bag down and head to the kitchen. Some awful smell hits me as I go to the tap to wash my hands. I thought it was the trash but deep down I knew it wasn't trash smell. 

I fill the kettle, place it on one of the gas burners, lighter in my right hand, use my left to open the pot on another burner to check if the banga soup had gone bad. It hadn't. I'm prompted to look at the knob for turning on the gas. VOILA! One of them is turned on, to the highest point. That was the source of the smell! Now, before you come for me, I know what gas smells like, but this didn't smell like it. It was pungent, like a mixture of dead rat and spoilt food.

I gently put the lighter down, turn off the gas, and open the backyard door. I forget about the tea and just head to my room. 

On this day that commemorates the Day of Pentecost, I'm grateful to the Holy Spirit for prompting me when it matters most. I may overlook certain things that look little or inconsequential but I'm grateful I'm alive today because of Him.

Happy Pentecost Sunday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ICYMI: 10 Things that Happened in Rivers State over the Weekend and in the Past Week

The Beauty of Southern Kaduna

Are Journalists Getting Soft?