Clash Between Gang Members in Choba Community and Subsequent Arrests: Personal Account of Business Owner and Resident of Choba Community



I had finished from the office for the day and boarded a vehicle to take me home. Approaching the Choba Area Command Headquarters on the East-West road, just after Alakahia, I notice some kind of traffic congestion ahead. Getting closer about 6 vans or more, filled with young boys with their eyes covered were being driven out of the station. The expressway by which the station is located has two lanes, one for vehicles going to Choba and the other for vehicles heading towards Rumuokoro.


The side of the road heading to Rumuokoro is where the station is situated, and there's traffic builds up on that aide because the police vans have to drive out, causing some sort of delay for other vehicles which had to be at a standstill.

This may not be unrelated to the sporadic shooting reported by residents of Choba on Wednesday morning and evening.

Meanwhile, an acquaintance of mine who runs a business and resides in Choba community of Obio/Akpor in Rivers State sent me a direct message on Facebook after seeing my post about the suspected gang members who were being driven out of the station.

"Good morning dear,

Choba crisis and the role of our police is restoring "normalcy".

As business owner in choba, the recent activities of cultist have caused a down turn in revenue but we managed and still survive and take whatever sales we see. Yesteray took a downward spiral. The police came in to the picture to restore peace. With the high police presence i decided to open my shop wide and continue my buisness since the police are around. One set packed at my junction close to where choba chief resides, we greeted them normally they went.



Next another set came in an unmarked (no license plate) and asked who was the manager of this nairabet shop. I came out and said i was the one. Next thing i heard was arrest him, i was taken an asked to sit on d floor with the native i was wearing (properly and responsibly dressed). They laid accyssation that this is where the boys came to do their meeting before they went and killed someon. A killing that happened at 7:30am when no shops were open. I spoke all the english i knew and was thrown in the back of their car. Was asked to bring 300k. I said i dont have such. I asked that they collected 10k so i close shop and go. They said they are not the normal police that collect such. That they are E-crack and they are taking me to the office. Other people came to talk on my behalf and vogue for me. Yet the paid deaf ears, i was taken in their green audi car along with another individual i had to lap because of space.

I ended up trying to raise 50k for my bail which they looked for a filling station and did cash back with my card and i was released. The other individual was still with them and till 5pm yesterday evening the wife of the man and family could not locate him. Now the question is, are the police meant to restore peace or harrass innocent citizens going about their lawful buisness? I run a nairabet shop and the last time i checked it was a recognized buisness in nigeria. I was told to stop this buisness before it land me in prison. My name is Ekere Oghenekaro. I am a nairabet agent in choba by state primary school and this was my story.



Right now i hv left my apartment in choba as the military and SArs came and did house to house breaking Innocent arresting that took place yesterday.

My only saving grace was prayers as they stopped in the compound before mine
I would have bailed myself 2ce in 1 day.
Over 60 people were taking and packed like sardine .


All i kept hearing was door breaking and the question "who are you" no matter the answer given no answet was good enough to save anyone.

The cult clash didn't affect biz cos so far no innocent by stander has been killed
Anyone killed in this IS A CULTIST. That we can all attest to.

The iceland people when moving yesterday morning calmed tension as they moved and boldly told people not to run but walk gently that they are not after us.

We can be 90% sure none of the arrested person yesterday was a cults.

I have moved to stay in town for now. Would open my shop from tomorrow. Right now i am now an internally displaced person ."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ICYMI: 10 Things that Happened in Rivers State over the Weekend and in the Past Week

The Beauty of Southern Kaduna

Are Journalists Getting Soft?