How I Viewed the Super Blood Moon on the 28th of September, 2015

My eyes were fixed to the sky from around 7pm, because I wanted to at least see the moon first before raising my expectations for the eclipse. A friend had come to pick up a book from me, and we stood outside for over an hour gisting and laughing. He caught me gazing up in the sky on several occasions, so I had to tell him why.

From his response, he was obviously not as enthusiastic as I was. Well, I was bent on satisfying my curiosity, so as I got home, I checked online for the precise timing for Port Harcourt and realized the eclipse would begin around 2am. So, I set my alarm for that time and slept off. When my alarm went off, I strolled to the balcony at the backyard of my sister's apartment. Since hers is on the top floor of the building, it was difficult to see the moon. I was forced to the balcony at the front where I stooped down. Voila! The moon was there, full but not red. It looked different, though, as I actually noticed a little cloud by its side, and some unusual brightness. With my sleepy eyes, I could still make out the extraordinary glow at its periphery. Then I went back to bed. My sister who was already asleep but startled by my movements asked what I was looking for. “The moon”, I said, and I'm sure she thought I was joking.

Again, I set my alarm for 3.30am, the stipulated time for the peak of the eclipse. When my alarm went off the second time, I strolled to the backyard again (the kitchen door is actually less noisy and I thought the moon would have moved), but it wasn't there. I was forced to the front once more, and there, I beheld the beauty of God. The moon was half red, and I couldn’t help but smile. I briskly walked inside and asked my sister for her phone since mine was dead. But to my dismay, hers was dead too. She asked me what the matter was, and I told her the moon was red. She got up without waiting to hear another word and followed me outside. “Wow!”, she exclaimed. After observing for some seconds, she added that our phones wouldn't have been able to capture the amazing sight. It was beautiful, indeed, and I wish I had a camera to take a snapshot of this exquisite display of God’s awesomeness. Well, I still captured the experience and I’m glad I have shared it with you in words. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ICYMI: 10 Things that Happened in Rivers State over the Weekend and in the Past Week

The Beauty of Southern Kaduna

Are Journalists Getting Soft?